One of the most popular cocktails going around is the Espresso Martini - a concoction of vodka, coffee liqueur, fresh espresso shot and a sweetener. While they are delicious, it can certainly put a dent in your wallet, costing upwards of $20 per cocktail in many city cocktail bars.
Never fear though - we have a little secret that we want to share with you. The Cheat's Espresso Martini!
Our Cold Drip Coffee Liqueur is the real star of this recipe, it's strong (to replace the vodka), sweet (our secret sweetener used in the liqueur is the perfect replacement for a sugar syrup) and packs a huge coffee hit (not only is it smoother than an espresso shot, it's a lot less mucking around!). It's made using the cold drip extraction method, where individual drips of icy cold water pass through ground coffee beans in a fancy tower, to slowly extract a smooth coffee liquid. Since there is no heat involved, the chemical reaction that usually causes acidity or bitterness in coffee when you have an espresso shot from a coffee machine doesn't occur, resulting in a naturally sweeter, fresher more vibrant coffee flavour.
Here's what you'll need:
- 50ml Ohana Winery's Cold Drip Coffee Liqueur
- 50ml Kahlua liqueur
- Whole coffee beans, or chocolate flakes for serving
- Cocktail shaker
- Chilled martini glass (pop it into the fridge for 20 minutes, or the freezer for 5 minutes before you're ready to serve!)
Here's how to do it:
- Place your measures of Cold Drip Coffee Liqueur and Kahlua into your cocktail shaker, along with the ice.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds, then strained into your chilled glass.
- Garnish with the whole coffee beans, or flaked chocolate.
That's it! It's honestly that simple! It tastes just the same as an espresso martini you'll find in any cocktail bar, just with a lot less effort (and a much smaller price tag!)
Give it a go at your next dinner party, and don't forget to share a picture with us on Instagram or Facebook.
Til next time, happy drinking!